West Coast Environmental Law is seeking a volunteer Treasurer to join the boards of our three provincially-incorporated societies.
*Expressions of interest will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
West Coast Environmental Law harnesses the power of law to solve complex environmental challenges. Our non-profit team of lawyers, analysts and communicators is committed to transforming the legal landscape in ways that are more sustainable, more democratic and more just, with a particular focus on collaborative legal strategies that bridge Indigenous and Canadian law. Board candidates should demonstrate a strong alignment with the mission and values of West Coast.
In addition to participating in all aspects of board governance, the Treasurer, together with the board finance and audit committee, is responsible for:
- attending brief monthly finance and audit committee meetings (typically <30 min) to review financial statements, quarterly budget reforecasts prepared by staff and discuss matters noted below;
- providing strategic direction to the Executive Director in relation to preparation of the annual budget and other financial matters as requested;
- reviewing the annual budget prepared by staff;
- recommending the annual budget to the boards for approval (with the support of the Executive Director);
- presenting monthly financial statements to the boards of directors at bi-monthly board meetings, or in-between board meetings to the board executive committee (with the support of the Executive Director);
- meeting with West Coast’s auditors on an annual basis, and recommending the approval of the audited statements to the board of directors; and,
- attending bi-monthly board meetings (total of five evenings a year), and a strategic planning retreat once every four years.
An individual with strong environmental values and a background in accounting and/or financial administration, particularly in the charitable sector, would be a good fit for this role. Previous non-profit board experience would be an asset.
Time Commitment: 5 hours monthly (average)
Travel to Vancouver is covered for out-of-town board members for the AGM and one other meeting each year subject to public health guidance, with a zoom option for other meetings.
Please send us a letter setting out why you’d like to be West Coast Environmental Law’s next treasurer and your relevant experience. Please submit your CV and letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15, 2021, quoting “Volunteer Board Treasurer” in the subject line.