There is an immediate opening for a 0.7 time (25 hours/week) staff position at the Vancouver office of West Coast Environmental Law. West Coast harnesses the power of law to solve complex environmental challenges, transforming environmental decision-making and strengthening legal protection for the environment through collaborative legal strategies that bridge Indigenous and Canadian law. Remote work is in effect while COVID-19 restrictions apply.
Reporting to the Executive Director & Senior Counsel, the Executive Coordinator will have the administrative, executive governance, interpersonal and project management skills needed to support the senior manager of one of Canada’s most prominent environmental law organizations with the full range of their responsibilities, from board management, policy development, human resources, financial management and strategic planning to legal and campaign work. With a strong personal commitment to the environment and Indigenous rights, the Executive Coordinator will be a problem-solver with a good sense of humour who works well both collaboratively and independently as the right-hand person to the Executive Director & Senior Counsel.
- Executive governance: Coordinate Board, committee, AGM, and other meeting logistics on behalf of the Executive Director & Senior Counsel; prepare related reports, packages and minutes
- Project management: Manage key initiatives and special projects under the direction of the Executive Director & Senior Counsel, including policy development
- Operations: Provide leadership in the administration of systems required for the effective, efficient and legally compliant operations of the organization
- Human resources coordination: Provide leadership in developing internal culture, including ongoing team building and staff/volunteer recognition; manage, in conjunction with the Office Administrator, the operational aspects of hiring, on-boarding, evaluation, and exit processes for staff and volunteers
- Administrative support to the Executive Director & Senior Counsel (e.g., drafting/proofing materials, managing correspondence to prioritize action items, organizing calendar, travel arrangements)
- Other related tasks assigned by the Executive Director & Senior Counsel
YOU WILL POSSESS:
- Previous experience in administrative and governance support at an executive level
- At minimum 2 years’ experience in a non-profit organization with a Board of Directors
- Excellent organizational, logistical, planning and time management skills
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to identify needs and solve problems with initiative, creativity and discretion
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and to help others do so
- Strong computer skills, social media fluency an asset
- A knowledge and passion for environmental and social justice issues in BC
- Experience working with and for Indigenous nations or organizations is an asset
Salary range: $33,000 - $41,000/annum (based on $46,000 - $59,000 at 0.7 time), with a competitive benefits package, including health benefits, 4 weeks annual leave to begin, and professional development opportunities.
Send your CV with a cover letter that describes what makes a great Executive Coordinator and how you meet these criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 30, 2021. Please quote “Executive Coordinator” in the subject line. Interviews may be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
West Coast Environmental Law aims to promote equity and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, races, national origins, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, abilities and beliefs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.